You are invited to nominate young people to MVYLI.
MVYLI’s year-round program begins with the youth serving as a delegate to Youth Leadership Summit for Sustainable Development: June 20-27.
MVYLI’s year-round program builds on each youth’s goals from the Youth Leadership Summit. We provide youth with tools, training and leadership opportunities including the Job Shadow Day, College Prep & Field Program, Sustainability-In-Action Projects and the Cronkite Awards.
MVYLI Summit Orientation: April 17
MVYLI college youth Charlotte McCarron
will share their experiences with the Summit & Fellows Program.
MVYLI’s Youth Leadership Summit for Sustainable Development inspires, educates and empowers young people (ages 14-21) to take initiative in their lives and on their island. In this weeklong intensive leadership training youth delegates envision their personal, professional, island and planetary goals. The Summit begins with a Sustainable Vineyard Tour to learn first-hand about green projects on the Island. They meet in professional work groups with college youth and begin developing 5-year plans for their lives. They also identify and develop action plans for sustainability projects to help their Island. Our faculty: The Institute’s Train-the-Trainer Youth Empowerment Model features youth graduates from previous Summits. They are especially invested in passing along Dr. King’s legacy of “Each one, teach one” – that creates a powerful multiplier effect for future generations.
Outcomes of MVYLI Youth Leadership Summit & Year-Round Program
- Youth receive educational tools/training to develop a can-do spirit and make-it-happen initiative in their lives.
- Youth are exposed to inspiring youth leaders who’ve overcome obstacles and changed their lives and their world.
- Youth learn about best practices and innovative models to address sustainable issues on their island.
- Youth learn to develop action plans; troubleshoot challenges, prepare presentations, strategies to engage others.
- Youth learn to make effective presentations: verbally, written, artistically and through video and social media.
- Youth are empowered to be representatives of sustainability issues and projects affecting their islands.
- Youth are matched with mentors throughout the year and for our Job Shadow Day. They write letters of recommendation; make introductions to supportive people; assist with colleges, internships, and summer jobs.
MVYLI’s program which requires a commitment from youth and their nominator. Youth who attend weekly meetings are better prepared to use the skills they learned to realize their goals for their lives, their island and the world. Parental support is invaluable in ensuring their child’s success in MVYLI’s program.
Please think about young people who have the potential to be leaders – imagine if they could have this experience! Together we will prepare a new generation of leaders for the Vineyard and the world.
MVYLI is a project of the Stone Soup Leadership Institute, 501c3 non-profit organization founded on Martha’s Vineyard in 1997. All programs are free to Vineyard youth. Donations are welcome.