Youth Leadership Summit 2016
June 25-July 2
You are invited to nominate young people to MVYLI.
MVYLI’s year-round program begins with the youth serving as a delegate
to Youth Leadership Summit for Sustainable Development
The Stone Soup Leadership Institute is hosting its 12th annual Youth Leadership Summit for Sustainable Development. The Hokule’a is landing on the Vineyard right on time for the Summit: www.hokulea.com
For six years we have been working with the Polynesian Voyaging Society to share the inspiring story of the Hokule’a and her worldwide journey. We honored them at the 2014 Cronkite Awards. www.soup4world.com
This is a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to celebrate with those who are dedicated to ocean/environmental sustainability – and empowering our youth to become leaders.
MVYLI’s Youth Leadership Summit for Sustainable Development inspires, educates and empowers young people (ages 14-21) to take initiative in their lives and on their island. In this weeklong intensive leadership training youth delegates envision their personal, professional, island and planetary goals. The Summit begins with a Sustainable Vineyard Tour to learn first-hand about green projects on the Island. They meet in professional work groups with college youth and begin developing 5-year plans for their lives. They also identify and develop action plans for sustainability projects to help their Island. Our faculty: The Institute’s Train-the-Trainer Youth Empowerment Model features youth graduates from previous Summits. They are especially invested in passing along Dr. King’s legacy of “Each one, teach one” – that creates a powerful multiplier effect for future generations.
Outcomes of MVYLI Youth Leadership Summit & Year-Round Program
- Youth receive educational tools/training to develop a can-do spirit and make-it-happen initiative in their lives.
- Youth are exposed to inspiring youth leaders who’ve overcome obstacles and changed their lives, their world
- Youth learn about best practices and innovative models to address sustainable issues on their island
- Youth learn to develop action plans; troubleshoot challenges, prepare presentations, strategies to engage other
- Youth learn to make effective presentations: verbally, written, artistically and through video and social media
- Youth are empowered to be representatives of sustainability issues and projects affecting their islands
- Youth are matched with mentors throughout the year and for our Job Shadow Day. They write letters of recommendation; make introductions to supportive people; assist with colleges, internships, and summer jobs.
MVYLI’s program which requires a commitment from youth and their nominator. Youth who attend weekly meetings are better prepared to use the skills they learned to realize their goals for their lives, their island and the world. Parental support is invaluable in ensuring their child’s success in MVYLI’s program.
Please think about young people who have the potential to be leaders – imagine if they could have this experience! Together we will prepare a new generation of leaders for the Vineyard and the world.
MVYLI is a project of the Stone Soup Leadership Institute, 501c3 non-profit organization founded on Martha’s Vineyard in 1997. All programs are free to Vineyard youth. Donations are sincerely appreciated.